Welcome to our garden...... where dreams grow and memories bloom.

I am not a professional anything. I'm not a master gardener, I am not a chef, I am not a horticultralist or naturalist. I am not trying to live off the grid, or prepare for the acololypse, or go totally organic. What I am is a 40 something single mom who works full time and attends graduate school full time and is trying to build a life that teaches some values, and skills to her children while giving them some memories to carry into their adulthood.















We are starting from scratch. We have virgin land that needs a lot of work. We have plenty of time and imagination, but a shoestring budget. We may not do everything right, in fact we probably won't do much right. But we are going to do it together, and that is what matters.























Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mischief Managed

Or rather - brush pile managed.

A couple of weeks ago we had two large trees taken out.  The guys who did the work said they would pile all the wood etc at the edge of the yard.  Well - the trees themselves were cut up into 18"-24" pieces right where they fell.  They did pile the brush up into three huge piles.  The contractor for the addition to the house called today and apparently after several delays they are going to start work this week.  Tomorrow to be exact.  The guy is bringing some heavy equipment to do the site work and in a day or two there will be a concrete truck here to pour the slab for the garage.

What does this have to do with gardening?  Nothing, this is just what happened today.  But I figure since this is my blog and all, well I can write about whatever I want.

So anyway..... I look outside and see these huge piles of brush in about the spot I imagine that they are going to need to back said heavy equipment and concrete truck into to be able to work on the spot for the garage.  I decided that I had better get to work on that brush pile.

A not-quite-before picture.  I had already done a couple of hours of work piling up the logs before I thought about taking any before pictures.



We dropped an 18 foot walnut tree and a 20 foot oak tree.  Neither were in good shape, and both were in the way of the planned driveway.  I don't think either tree was worth anything as standing timber, but in a year or two we will have some great firewood. 

We still need a day with a chain saw and a log splitter to break the logs down into firewood pieces, but at least for now the mess is a bit more organized and out of the way.



I did not get into this venture thinking it would be glamorous, and man let me tell you.... the sight of me today sweating and swearing moving those logs was not.at.all glamorous.  Worth it, just not a pretty sight.

1 comment: