Welcome to our garden...... where dreams grow and memories bloom.

I am not a professional anything. I'm not a master gardener, I am not a chef, I am not a horticultralist or naturalist. I am not trying to live off the grid, or prepare for the acololypse, or go totally organic. What I am is a 40 something single mom who works full time and attends graduate school full time and is trying to build a life that teaches some values, and skills to her children while giving them some memories to carry into their adulthood.















We are starting from scratch. We have virgin land that needs a lot of work. We have plenty of time and imagination, but a shoestring budget. We may not do everything right, in fact we probably won't do much right. But we are going to do it together, and that is what matters.























Sunday, September 4, 2011

Here we go....

We made the first purchase (other than buying the property) towards starting our garden project.  The local soil and water conservation district has large composters for sale and we ordered one.  It should be here on the 15th.  This will be a first, because while I have been interested in composting I have never had the ability to do it on a large scale.  I am hopeful that this will not only be great for the garden but promote  reduce-reuse-recycle education for the kids.



We got a great deal on the composter.  The conservation district sells them for $115.00 , and comparing online I am finding prices of $175.00 and up.  YEAH for bargain shopping.  They also have rain barrels available.  We didn't get any yet.  This is a possibility for the future, but since we do not have gutters yet (llllooooonnnggggg story) there was no point.  SCSWCD says that they always have the barrels available, so if we decide to get some in the future, we know where to go.

Fingers Crossed - Here we go............

No comments:

Post a Comment